Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ho Ho Ho!

Last year we didn't do a Santa picture, so this year it was a must. It turns out that both kids are at quite a challenging age for Santa pictures. Kellen screamed his head off at the mere sight of Santa. I anticipate that one and was prepared to just throw him on poor Santa's lap and snap away. However, Makenna gave us more resistance that I was expecting. She is so excited and in love with Santa right now, I though that seeing him would be a dream come true. Apparently the jolly fat guy is more appealing and exciting to see on TV, read in books and only approach in person as a stuffed, inflated, painted or plastic version. Kenna wanted nothing to do with the big man in red. And no amount of bribes were working either. "I will buy you your own box of candy from See's" "We will get you cotton candy flavored ice cream from cold stone" "You can stay up late and eat popcorn and watch Christmas movies" Nothing was working. So, after about 10 minutes of negotiating and failing, I told the camera man to get ready. My plan was to get the other kids screaming on his lap and then throw Makenna in from of the Jolly man and pray that a few pics could be snapped before she ran away in hysterics. To my surprise, as soon as I sat her down she just froze. At first she looked on the verge of tears and was practically trembling. But with all the bells jingling, Pa jumping up and down shouting "woo hoo", Auntie Rah Rah making funny faces, her name being shouted a million times and mama waving candy canes around, she looked at the camera (pathetically) and got some good shots in there. It is definitely one for the memory books. Thank you, dear Santa for your patients. You truly are a saint.

Here is a look at the progression of pictures. We got one of all the grand kids for my parents and baby Brooke was the only cooperative one. I am sure she was looking at Makenna and Kellen and thinking "What the heck is wrong with these fools?" I don't know Brooke...but I am guessing that you will understand a year from now.

4 comments:

Auntie Steph said...

The challenges of getting a picture of kids with Santa ! Love some of the looks on Makenna's face (no attitute there !). Some day they'll see these pics and wonder what they were thinking !

Andrea said...

Too funny! Probably not so much for you at the time but they are hilarious as an outsider to see. Kellen is killing me and the one where Makenna is dabbing a tear from her eye? Hilarious.

amber said...

oh my gosh, does this bring back memories. we teach out children to be afraid of strangers and then want them to like santa, do you ever see anyone else like him ever?? tony forbid me to take josh when he was little as danielle threw a fit that can still be heard today i'm sure, BUT we do have pics that make family memories!!! thanks for sharing. love you auntie amber

Kipn n' Sarah said...

That sure was quite the event. Well written to capture the mood and events! Glad we just went for it. I think the pictures are PERFECT to reflect the kids ages. And yes I do agree that next year may be a freaky one for Brooke? We shall see. Meet you at Santa next year for the next funny shot :)