Friday, April 17, 2009

What can you do?

For as big as Kellen is you would think that the child had the biggest appetite in the world, right? You would think that the kid would eat anything you put in front of his face. But that is far from the case here.
Since Kellen was 4 1/2 months old I have been trying and trying to get the boy to eat solids. They told me at his 4 month apt that due to his "large stature" he would need to being taking in more than just milk. So I tried to start him on rice cereal and purees. Kellen said "Heck NO!" No matter how I tried I could not get the kid to eat. He wouldn't open his mouth for the food at all. He would literally lock his jaw and grunt, yes, Grunt at me if I tried to feed him. And IF I could successfully trick him into opening his mouth and got the spoon in, the food came right back out.
I decided to give it a rest. I waited a few weeks and tried again. Same thing happened. Waited a couple more weeks. Same response. So finally I thought, "Maybe he just doesn't like the purees." So a little over a week ago we went and got some stage 2 foods and tired those. And for a few days he did pretty good! But for the past 4 days or so he has started reverting back to old habits. He is not opening up as much. He is getting Mad and upset when I try to feed him and today when I did get the spoon in his mouth he started to cry. It was so sad.
But he was acting hungry and I had already nursed him. So I decided to try something even more solid. I gave him small pieces of a really steamed carrot. And he did really well. He opened for the food and ate almost a whole baby carrot. Then tonight I was eating a banana and he was watching intently, so I gave him small pieces of that. He inhaled it! He loved it!
So maybe my kid just doesn't like baby food. But is that okay? For some reason it worries me. It doesn't seem right to go straight to finger foods and bite size foods. I feel like he will be missing some nutrition. What do you other parents out there think? Do I just go with what he will eat, or do I keep trying the baby food hoping he will come around to it with enough time?
Anyway, here are a few recent pics. Other than our eating drama life is great!

A rare picture of Kellen actually eating baby food. You would think he loved it based on this picture.Kenna sporting her apron from her Auntie Steph. She loves wearing it and now looks for every opportunity to help me in the kitchen and put it on.Kellen and his buddy Cam. Doesn't Kellen look like such a big boy here. He is so grown up. Oh, and Cam is almost two years old....yes, Kellen is HUGE! (And I love every ounce of him!)This was my baby doll (named 'hard babies head'...I know, it was a weird name) when I was a little one. I LOVED this dolly. My heart melted when makenna came out of her room playing with her. A very proud mommy moment for me.My Clap Happy little boy. He has learned to clap. It is the cutest thing. And he claps very proper...he keeps his right hand stationary and claps with the left. It is too cute!Makenna is addicted to wearing these silly mittens. She wanted to go to bed with them on and slept in them all night. She is strange, I know...Trying to be like Auntie Rah Rah and walk with crutches. I know her hair is a disaster....

5 comments:

The Picketts said...

My opinion? Give him what he wants. Obviously, you have to watch him so he doesn't choke - but if he wants real food - give it to him.
Gracie wouldn't eat some of the baby foods and I tasted it and thought, "NO WONDER! that's NASTY!" ha ha ha.
Plus - I think real food (like the carrot and banana) are WAY better because it's not processed or anything. And maybe he's not a fan of the texture of baby food. Who knows. Little babies and toddlers are amazing at getting the nutrients they need from the food that they eat. Their bodies are so efficient!
Don't sweat it and trust yourself! You're a GREAT mommy!

The Perry family said...

Who likes baby food?!! My kids didn't last too long on the baby food. They could see us eating real food and wanted what we were eating. They never really ate the rice cereal either. Give them the real deal, there's plenty of nutrition in that, you know, like the whole wheats, fruit, veggies, etc. It's not fun worry if they're chewing their food small enough, but "chews" your battle...HA, HA!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Well I am not yet a mommy of an out of belly baby, so I can not say from experience but I do think the real thing HAS to be healthy since it is the "real" thing! I say go with what the kiddo will eat!
Ok so ALL the pictures are super cute as always, I think you just might have some of the cutest kids EVER in the ENTIRE WORLD I really hope my genes work out as well! Kellen's smile melts my heart and I LOVE the first picture of him and well my fav of Makenna is the one of her with the cruthces trying to be like her Ra Ra which I think the face makes her even more like me! HA! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

The Hardy's said...

Hailee wasn't a big fan of baby food either! I felt like I pretty much just went to finger foods with her- which I don't blame her for not liking the baby food...it's nasty! lol.
I LOVE the first two pictures! It is so funny how Kellen and Makenna are making the same facial expressions! They are sure cuties!

Dan Wyrick said...

I loved all the stories, the happy pics, the sad pics, the funny pics and the mad pics. I really liked the happy clapper pic of Kellen and the bug in the cup with Makenna pic. It all brought a smile on my face and a spark of joy in my heart. About the baby food thing....before baby food there was real food it worked then why not now? I loves ya all :O)