Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mama's Day

I think that Mother's Day just might be my favorite holiday. And not because of the reasons you might be thinking. It's not because my husband woke up with the kids and let me sleep in until 8. It's not about the delicious coffee cake that Todd made me for breakfast. It isn't because seeing my daughter up with the primary kids for the first time ever singing to the mothers about how much they love us made me sob and totally touched my heart. It isn't about the yummy dinner and dessert I didn't have to cook or the gift certificate for a pedicure. Yes, all of those things are wonderful. What woman (or man for that matter) doesn't just love being pampered?!
For me Mother's Day makes me think about and appreciate my own mother. It gives me another moment to stop and remember and think about all the things she has done and continues to do for me. All the things she has taught me. All the love she has given me and how our relationship and friendship is one of the most important things in the world to me.
It is also a day for me to appreciate my husband and my children. To reflect upon them, the joy and happiness they bring to me. The honor it is to be a mother. There is nothing in this world that compares to the love that you feel for your children and the feeling of receiving their love for you. Being a mother is so much more than I ever even dreamed it would be. It is the most amazing, rewarding, fulfilling thing I have ever done. It is such a pure and honest love, it always amazes me. A love and feeling and responsibility that comes from the core of my very being. I am so grateful to my husband for being my partner in this amazing journey and sharing this incredible responsibility with me. I am thankful to him for the children he has given me. I couldn't be a mother without him. And I am so grateful to my children. Grateful to them for choosing me to be their mother. For bringing such happiness into my life. For loving me and trusting me and putting up with me.
I love Mother's Day because it reminds me of how deeply blessed I have been by the Lord. I feel humbled and honored to be blessed with these souls to raise and teach and lead and be able to receive their love and adoration.



2 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

We have talked about this so I am just going to say a big AMEN to that!!!! Cute pictures!

The Perry family said...

I love being a mommy! Thanks for that beautiful post.