Thursday, June 14, 2012

It Could Be Worse

She may looks sweet, but she is a Maniac!
Back in March Makenna official met the ER. I have to say that I am honestly amazed that we made it this long without an ER trip. I know I was a regular there long before Makenna made her debut. She is such a monkey and so daring and brave, it really is a miracle that nothing like this has happened before. So I will pat myself on the back for that (or just consider us very lucky and looked after!)
Well, one evening Makenna was in the backyard doing one of her normal play set tricks. She stands on the crossbeam of the playset that is nearest to our rope swing. She gets the rope swing between her legs and then jumps off to the side, swings back and forth a few times and then jumps off the rope with a perfect landing. Often times when visitors would see her do this they would comment on how crazy she is, but to me it was just Makenna doing her Makenna thing.
However, on this particular evening she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. When she was nearing the end of her trick and was jumping off the rope swing she came down right on top of Bella's dog bone. Sure enough she hit it just right and totally sliced her foot right open. Just hearing the scream alone told me we would be going to the ER.
 A couple of hours later we walked away with a 3 staples in her foot. I have to say I was Really pretty impressed with Makenna. The doctor that put the staples in did a good job of making it clear to her that she Had to stay still while he put them in, and she did. She held her breath and did not move a muscle. But once they were in, then the hysterics let loose. It took a good 10 min (?) to calm her all the way back down. I kept her home from school the next day, which she spent all day hoping or crawling everywhere (I can't blame her...I would have been afraid to walk on it too!) But by the end of the 14 days with the staples in, she was at a full on run with those babies in there. 
It looked pretty nasty for awhile even after the staples came out. But now days it is a nice, pretty scar and a precious reminder of our first trip to the ER with our big girl. Congrats Makenna. Let's just make is an every 5 year occasion :)


No comments: