Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Not Quite So Easy

Up until about a month ago, having 3 kids had been a cake walk. Well, maybe not a cake walk, but it had gone Very smoothly! People I had talked to had me scared out of my mind that the transition from 2 to 3 was going to rock my world. That it was going to be all out chaos and madness.
Along came sweet, easy going, calm Conner and not too much changed. Sure, life re-adopted a baby schedule. And yes, things were more busy, more laundry, another body to haul around and strap in and out of the car. But really, it was nothing like what I had expected it to be. On the contrary, life just seemed blissful. And I often thought "What were people going so crazy about thinking 3 was so insane? I guess I just got lucky (Or maybe I am just That amazing!)" :)
And then about 3 weeks ago that all started to change.
We have reached a new stage with Conner, and with this stage has brought much more difficulty and whole new challenges. Conner is still his sweet, loving, adorable little self...just less easy these days.
He is at the age where he is getting mobile (not quite on all fours, but the kid can get around quite well without needing to technically crawl...note the picture above...he gets into all sorts of silly places already). He is developing separation anxiety. If he sees Mom walk out of the room, then there are tears. If Mom is in sight, he wants to be held a lot. When Mommy picks him up, he is happy for 3 seconds and then starts lunging toward the ground because he wants to get down and explore everything he sees. So Mom sets him down, and then he cries because he wants to be held by Mom. And that is what we do most of the day these days. Silly babies. Conner has just gotten to a point of requiring more attention in a more difficult way. I am finding it harder to get things done. It's stressful doing things with a fussing baby, and it is difficult trying to do things holding a kid who is trying to climb out of your arms. So either way it is sort of lose/lose with him at times. I remember both Kenna and Kellen going through similar phases, so I know it is a phase that too shall pass. But I have just also realized that now life with 3 has gotten challenging in a way it wasn't challenging before. And I think it is sort of going to stay that way.
I love my 3 kids. I love the ways that they challenge me and make my life crazy. I love each of their sweet, sticky faces. I love their laughs and wiping their tears. I don't like being a referee all day to the two older ones, but I guess it comes with the job, so I won't complain too much. I love my hectic world and the crazy looks I get from people in the stores. I love all the new journeys we embark on and phases we go through. It keeps life interesting.

2 comments:

Auntie Steph said...

Love the pic of all 3 kids :)
You'll get through the tough days....you're made for being a Mommy :)

Amanda said...

I love watching you go through all of this first and learning from you as I reach these moments in my own life. I thought I would hate having both my sister and sister in law have kids before me but now I seem to quite love it actually.
Con is so dang cute, he has such a sweet and peaceful personality (well most of the time) I am excited to see him growing and discovering all of these new things. It is so fun!