Thursday, March 25, 2010

So Small


Walking through the parking lot with my daughter today, holding her hand, keeping her by my side as best I can. As she puts her hand in mine I have to stop and look down at it....it feels so small.
So small resting in my own hand. Her entire had fitting comfortably in the palm of mine. It felt so tiny, so fragile. I hold her hand more times in one day than I can probably count. But today, for some reason, the way her hand fit into mine just amazed me. When I look at my children they both seem so big, so grown up. Especially Makenna, being the oldest. Standing next to her little brother and seeing the differences in the two, she just seems so matures, so old, so independent. She is becoming her own little person with her own thoughts, ideas, plans, wants, fears, passions. Every day she amazes me with the things she has learned and the way she has grown. Both of my children do. And they seem to grow so fast. And before you know it they are not the tiny baby that they once were.
But although not as tiny as they once were, they are still so small.
Makenna may be 3. She may have hit a countless number of milestones and grown and changed so much in these 3 1/2 years. But she is still so young, so small, so fragile. She still needs her Mama to hold her hand tightly, keeping her safe and by her side, her delicate hand folded away completely in mine. She is still so small. And I wonder if it will ever stop feeling this way.

4 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I am crying, I think that about says it!
You are a beautiful writer!

The Perry family said...

I totally feel the same way when I grab Aleah's hand. I always look down at it and forget how small she is. And then I stare at it, caress it and tell her that I that I love holding her hand. It's so cute and delicate and
I love how it feels in my hand. Do our babies have to grow up?

Dan Wyrick said...

I just loved this picture Kellen looks like he is outgrowing his "not-so-big" sister. I saved this one as my background pic on my computer... I love it!
Luv PaPa

Auntie Steph said...

Isn't is amazing how things just "hit" you out of nowhere ? No matter how big your kids get, the only thing better than holding their "small" hands is holding the smaller hands of your grandchildren.