Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Little Stinker


The last two days have just been "those" kind of days for me. The kind of days when you feel like you child does not even register Anything you say. When no matter what tactic you try (talking kind and sweet and being as patient as possible, using time-outs, taking away privilages, being serious and stern, sitting them down and having one on one talks), NOTHING seems to be working and getting through to them.
Since the day Makenna was born (seriously, I could tell that early on) she has been the type of girl that loves to push the boundaries. Needs to push the boundaries. She is always testing the limit, finding the breaking point, seeing Just how much she can get away with. It is something that was born within her and I believe will be there forever. With this trait of hers comes tremendous strength. Strength that I look up to and strive to have for myself. She is such a strong girl. Has such a bold personality. She is really a very loving girl as well. She has such a good heart and so much love in her. She is girl that I know will grow to be a woman who will always stand on her own two feet, not be intimidated or persuaded by others and will always follow her heart and her own desires. There is nothing that will get in her way. Nothing that will stop her.
But I tell you, dealing with a BIG personality like that all crammed into a little 3 year old girl can be exhausting. When she is not in the mood to behave, she can make my life miserable. She really can. And she has just worn me out the last two days. Mind you, her Daddy is away in DC, she has been waking up way too early for her own good and leaving herself very over tired. But still, it has been a tough couple of days for me.
Thankfully it ended on a very good note tonight. A night ended with sweet bedtime songs, big hugs, lots of kisses and more I love you's than I can remember. It is always good to go to bed happy with each other....a very important thing to do. I just had to take my moment to vent for a few minutes. But to also remind myself that even though she can really test my mothering capabilities, she is all I could ever ask for in a daughter. The traits that drive me crazy right now while she is a toddler will make her a very strong, brave, independent adult. She is a force to recconned with. She makes me so proud. She brings so much love and laughter to our lives. There is nothing about her that I would ever change. I am forever grateful to be blessed with such an amazing little girl. Exhausting, but amazing all the same.

4 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

SO MAKENNA!!! You are a great writer!! Your words express that little lady SO WELL!!! Love you sis and I am so proud of you and your amazing perspectives. You are an amazing woman and I hope you know I admire you and the way your eyes see the world!

Auntie Steph said...

There are parts of Makenna's personality that sooo remind me of Christi as a child. I wasn't able to see the advantages her independence would give her and am so glad you can. I have to agree with Sarah, you have a wonderful way with words as well as a wonderful perspective on things !

amber said...

the things (our children) that give us the most joy's in life can also make us the craziest. can i just tell you that eventually it all comes together and they give you grandkids so hang on. you have beautiful kids and an awesome family. no one said this would be easy but the rewards are great!!! love you, auntie amber

amber said...

the things (our children) that give us the most joy's in life can also make us the craziest. can i just tell you that eventually it all comes together and they give you grandkids so hang on. you have beautiful kids and an awesome family. no one said this would be easy but the rewards are great!!! love you, auntie amber