Saturday, September 17, 2011

All Gussied Up

Little story to tell that I don't want to forget, don't want Todd to forget and want Makenna to smile at someday -
Todd was on his way home from work the other night. Makenna had been coloring while I had been on the phone with him. Suddenly she jumped up and ran into her room in what seemed like a really big hurry. She returned a number of minutes later with some pink, dangling, pretend earrings on and her hair brush and squirt bottle in her hand. She came over to me and said "Mom, will you brush my hair? I want it to be straight and beautiful. I don't like it when it is bumpy and tangly like this." This request alone made my jaw drop. Every morning hair brushing induces whining and complaining and is always resisted, never welcome. So a Request to brush her hair??? What?!
So I tell her Of Course I will brush her hair, tell her how pretty she looks with her earrings and ask her why she is getting all dressed up. She responds "Because I want to surprise Daddy and be Beautiful for him when he gets home from work."
Heart melted, eyes got teary, smile to my face. Our little girl has a crush on her Daddy...her first love!
Once her hair was brushed she wanted to know what else she could do to be beautiful. So we put on some perfume, and lip gloss and then we heard Daddy pulling in.
I wish I would have videotaped her coming out around the hall with her shy, coy little smile when she came out to say hi to him. The look on her face and in her eyes as he told her how beautiful she was and smelt her perfume...I just about died.
Makenna is a lucky girl to have such a great man to adore and love, and Todd is a lucky man to have such a beautiful little lady getting all dressed up for him and pining away for his affection.

3 comments:

The Picketts said...

Oh, this is SOOOO sweet! I love it! There really isn't anything quite like the relationship between Daddy and daughter, is there? :o)

Auntie Steph said...

Love it!!! So sweet!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Ok that is SO CUTE!!! I love how you write too! Super sweet!