Monday, September 5, 2011

5 Years Used to Sound Like A Lot...

...but not anymore. Now it seems like your sweet little baby girls is born...
...you blink...

....and she's 5. A regular little girl. Graduated from everything toddler, shopping in the little girls section instead of the baby section, making her own choices, making her own friends, choosing what she wears, giving you a kiss on the cheek and telling you not to be sad and that she will be home from school soon.
Having a 5 year old just seems strange to me. I remember being 5. I remember the friends I had, I remember my kindergarten teacher and what she looked like and our classroom and the way my name looked at my desk. I remember my mom bringing me to school that first day. I remember 5. And now my daughter is 5 and it is strange to think that these moments in her life are now moments that may stay engraved in her memories forever. That she may be able to sit some day and reflect with me and have us tell the stories together of the things she did as a little girl. And though it pulls at my heart strings to remember how small she was not all too long ago, I look at her now with pride. She is beautiful, she is smart, she is full of life and laughter and joy and love. Her name means Happy One. I wanted my daughter to be happy. And I feel like the first 5 years I can call a success! For if Makenna is Anything she is happy!
Kenna and Grammy share a birthday just a few days apart. Grammy was so sweet and wanted to spend her birthday night together with our family and Makenna so they could celebrate together. These two girls have such a huge place in my heart!
Grammy and Pa gave Kenna her gift that night...

...her very own music box, WITH a ballerina that twirls around. This has been high on Makenna's wish list for the past year. Makenna told me that night "I always dreamed I would have a jewelry box with a ballerina and tonight my dream came true!"
Makenna's birthday was on a school night, but we went out to dinner with Cameron and his family and then she opened the rest of her family gifts that night before bed.

She was very sweet to Kellen that night and Kellen was Very cute with Kenna. He stood patiently watching her, helped when she said he could and got excited right along with her for all her new books and toys. He's a good boy and these two have such a good relationship!
Sat we had a small party for Makenna with a few of her friends

Kenna wanted a Little Mermaid party. We had pizza, played some games, played with water balloons, ran around on the slip and slide, had a pinata and cake. What more could you want?!


I always wonder what little wish is going through their head as they blow out their candles. In the case of Makenna it may have simply been "I hope I get the biggest piece of cake with the VERY MOST FROSTING!"
Kenna and Cam...buddies for life.
Makenna has been working hard at skating for a good 6 months or so and has wanted a pair of "big girls skates" for awhile! She has been so patient and finally her birthday made it's way around and sure enough Mom and Dad got her a new set of knee and elbow pads and her very own big girl skates. I was a bit worried about getting her roller blades vs classic skates. I was afraid the roller blades would be tough to balance on at so young. Boy am I glad I didn't get the reg skates because this girls was skating like a pro on these within minutes. Such a cutie and a little stud! That's my girl!
Happy Birthday Makenna Mae! We love you more than could ever know. You bring so much life and laughter and love into our home. You have taught me so much about life, love and happiness and I continue to learn from you every day. You are beautiful as can be, smart, funny and full of drive and determination that is going to take you so far. Reach for the stars and then reach beyond. Nothing can stop you! We love you.

1 comment:

amber said...

i have a hard time believing she is 5 already, time goes so fast it's scary!! you are so blessed to have your mom so close (both physically and emotionally), such a special relationship. love you