Tuesday, August 9, 2011

More Than Just Cake

Cake may be the highlight of a one year old's party, but it's not the whole thing. Here's the rest of the party.
Could there be a more handsome birthday boy?
Daddy can never resist the jumpers! The kid in him comes running out and before you know it he is bouncing off the walls. Truth be told, this is one of the real reasons I get the jumpers for the kids parties, it's fun for the kids and adults :)

Of course we had some pinata action. Conner enjoyed holding the stick, but the concept meant nothing to him.
However, the concept of candy coming out it is one he totally grasped and very much appreciated! It's good to be 1!
While Conner through cake all over the patio, the older kids and adults got to decorate their own cupcakes with their choice of frosting and candies to go on top.


The next day Conner and Brooke had a combined birthday party for family, seeing as their birthdays are only 1 day apart. Plus, they are about the same size, so it looks natural having them celebrate together!


I think I was deprived of pinatas at my parties when I was a kid, so it always feels like a must to have a pinata. My kids very much appreciated 2 days of filling up bags with candy! Makenna showed no mercy on the pinata. She very much wants to be the one to bust open the pinata one of these days.
Brookie took some good swings, but in her soft Brooke sort of way
Kellen got in there too. Now the he knows there is candy to be had once that pinata gets beat enough, he is happy to let the poor pinata have it! Nothing gets in the way of that boy and some candy, nothing!
The birthday boy and girl! Apparently Brooke was not too amused with sharing her party?! Either that or she is annoyed that Conner is already as big as her! But they sure are cute together...definitely can tell they are cousins!

We thought it would be cute for both of them to have cakes together. We all saw how Conner attacked his cake. Brooke took the more mature, gentle approach to hers!
If you look closely at the picture above you will start to laugh, I guarantee it! Makenna and Kellen kept stealing fingers full of frosting. So I said to Sarah, "Wouldn't it be funny if I smashed Kenna's face in the cake?" She totally nodded and agreed! So I encouraged her to get close and when the iron was hot I struck and pushed her face right in!
Well, Makenna did not share the same humor that Sarah and I saw in it! Poor girl! I think she was mostly embarrassed. I explained to her that I was just trying to be funny, not mean. That I thought she would laugh about it. I also promised her she gets to smash my face in a cake on her birthday, to see the humor in it. I swear someday she will laugh at this! I'm still laughing!
Kellen was very disappointed that his mother would do such a thing to his sister and made sure to make the statement that that was not nice. He's just lucky it was his sister, not him! :)

No comments: