Friday, May 15, 2009

It feels good...

to know that I am doing something right in the way I am raising my daughter.
I was standing in the kitchen steaming some veggies for Kellen and listening to Makenna play outside in Bella's water bowls. Makenna is Always singing something, and I am so used to hearing it now that often times I am not even aware of it. 
But suddenly her song caught my attention...she was singing out loud, word for word perfectly, I Am A Child of God. It brought tears to eyes. It was the first time I have heard her sing it alone. And it touched my spirit to know that my little girl, in her free time while running around and playing, had those beautiful words going through her head. That her thoughts, even at this young age, are turned to her Father in Heaven, if only for a few moments during play. It made me feel like perhaps I am doing a good job at building a foundation for my daughter that our Heavenly Father would be proud of.
The words to the song always seemed 'cute' to me as child. But now I can barely keep a dry eye through the song when thinking about it from the perspective of a mother.
"Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way
   Teach me all that I must do, to live with him some day."
What a humbling responsibility!

2 comments:

The Picketts said...

And again...thanks - I'm seriously crying right now! :o)

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Gosh dang it, I am crying again!!!! I am going to find a place to put those words on Brooke's wall somewere just to remind me daily of that responsability.
And yes you are building a strong and sure foundation for your little ones! Way to go sis!