Friday, February 4, 2011

Disney On Ice



When I was little and used to see my mom tear up at what I thought were completely silly moments to be getting emotional. But I got used to it and just knew it was how my mom was. As I got older I used to worry that perhaps I was a less emotional person than others because I could not imagine myself getting teary eyed and being "touched" the way I saw other mothers and adults react to things. But in my adult life I have learned this...kids turn you into a total boob! And the longer you are a parent, the more often those teary moments start popping up in your life. I guess you just learn how precious and meaningful things are that, as an adolescent, you take for granted.
Anyway, somehow Disney On Ice became on of those moments for me. I saw an add for discounted tickets and thought it would be so much fun to take Makenna to it. Todd and I have not been out alone with Makenna since before Kellen was born. I think it is Sooo important to have time alone with your children individually. Each of our children act very differently when you are one on one with them versus with their siblings. It was nice to have a day with Makenna where she got to feel special and love and allow us as parents to have that fun, big girl time with her.
As the show got underway and the corny, cute Disney songs were playing I was watching Makenna as she watched to show. She seemed so big and grown up. It was the first time I have ever been to that sort of a thing with Makenna (her fear of movies has made it so we haven't even been able to go to the theater with her). These are the types of things I used to imagine doing with my daughter before I had any children. And it almost felt a bit surreal to be sitting there in that moment with my big girl. I am sure for many I am making this overly emotional and dramatic. But I am just writing it as it felt to me. So hey, maybe I am overly emotional and dramatic, and that is okay :)
All in all we had a great time! Makenna loved it! Her favorites were seeing "Princess Ariel' and Rex and The Pig from Toy Story. Though Todd may not admit it, he too was pretty into the figure skating going on below....or maybe he was just enjoying his daughter enjoying the show. Either way, they were all cute!



This girl annihilated her Cotton Candy. I can't blame her...the stuff is good and addicting!!
Mouse Ears!

Cute daughter/daddy on the way back to the car.

3 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Looks like she had quite the fun and wonderful little date with mommy and daddy!!! You guys are great parents and your little Kenna is a great little girl! Glad you had fun!

Auntie Steph said...

Love it !
Looks like everyone had a great time !
Glad you got to have one of those "moments".

The Perry family said...

how sweet, fun, exciting....what good memories for all involved!