Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Sound of Laughter Fills the Air


I feel like we are suddenly entering a new stage with Kellen and Makenna. In the past week something between them has suddenly changed. I don't know exactly when or how it happened, but it seems like one day I stepped back and realized, wow, they are actually playing and having fun together More than they are fighting. The two of them have always loved each other. Kenna has always been a good big sister and Kellen has always adored his "sissy" (I LOVE the way he says Sissy...it is too cute!) But, being siblings, the two of them have had their arguments. Even at 1 and 3 years old, those kids know how to fight. They get a total kick out of teasing and tormenting each other (yes, even Kellen will go and harass Makenna, which is actually quite comical most of the time).
With time and with Kellen getting older and being able to do more their relationship has been getting better and I have noticed them playing more and seeming to enjoy one another in ways they hadn't before. But really, in the last week or so that have grown Soooo much closer. Yes, they still argue and yes, I still have to play referee throughout the day. But suddenly my house is filled with laughter more than yelling. They are constantly chasing each other around and having so much fun. They are running around in the back yard together, teasing the dog together, Kenna pulling Kellen in the wagon. Suddenly Makenna is eager to help Kellen out, share with Kellen, teach Kellen how to climb up the play set and go down the slide. Today she was laying on the couch with her blanky and Kellen was getting tired and cranky before his nap. She suddenly got up, went over to him and gave him her blanky. I told her that was such a sweet thing to do and asked her why she did it and she said "because he is my best friend mama!" It almost made me cry.
I am sure that, being siblings, they will go through stages where they get along amazingly and other times they will constantly be at each others throats. But for now I am loving them loving each other. There is no sound in this world that makes me happier than hearing my children laughing together. It really is the greatest thing their is. I hope so much that they are always close and can always be there for one another. Their personalities balance each other out very well. They both know how to stand up for themselves, but also know how to share and when to give in. I love my kids with all my heart and love to see how much they love each other!

This pic was taken the other day after coming out of the bedroom and finding Makenna in the nude. She was sitting down assisting Kellen out of the last of his PJ's and then proceeded to take of his diaper. She then noticed me and said "Look mama, we're nudie babies!" So they spent most of the morning running around naked. I thought they looked so cute sitting at the table eating breakfast together in the buff. Love it!

3 comments:

Auntie Steph said...

Love the video !
Nothing wrong with nude babies !

Kipn n' Sarah said...

"Because Mama he is my best friend" are you kidding me that is SO CUTE!!! How did you not cry, I almost cried just reading it and you are the pregnant one :) I love that video, they seem SO HAPPY!!! It has been so nice to hear them in the background getting along and Kellen not SCREAMING! I love that you have such a fabulous life and that you take the time to see that. You are a wonderful mommy to your wonderful kids!

Andrea said...

Classic picture. Love that they are such good friends. That's the way it should be with siblings. Hopefully they won't team up against you ... like when Makenna recruited Kellen to draw on her room walls with her. :)