Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloweeny!

Really? Were Holiday's even fun before having kids? I feel like the joy that comes to me through celebrating the holidays comes so much from watching my kids have fun, get excited and get so caught up in the festivities.
We had a really fun Halloween this year and actually got pretty festive about it. No, I didn't decorate my house, other than throwing up some of Makenna's Halloween art work that she did at preschool. But we did got to a pumpkin patch, go to our ward carnival, attend 2 Halloween parties and spend an hour out on the streets trick-or-treating. It was a ton of fun.
I really think my favorite part was seeing Kenna finally "get it" this year. Last year we did trick-or-treat, and Makenna participated well. But this year you could tell that the concept of it all clicked for her. All day long she kept saying that she "couldn't wait to be Tinkerbell!" As soon as the costume was on and we were ready to hit the streets she was a girl on a mission to get candy. She new that the houses with the lights on were the ones she could score candy from. She would march up to the door, knock and say "trick-or-treating!" when they answered. She was always polite about saying thank you, but then quickly moved onto the next house. Often times she announced "We're big in a hurry! Let's go!" (not 'in a big hurry' but 'Big in a hurry'....I love it!) And a few times, though the house had it's porch light on, no one answered. On those occasions our oh so dramatic daughter would exclaim "Oh No! Now we will never get candy again!"
Kellen did a really good job too. He was very tolerant of getting dressed up. I was equally impressed with Todd who was so agreeable to me putting our son in tights for Halloween. Kellen was occupied at the ward Halloween party by all the balloons, which helped keep his attention on something other than trying to take his hat off. While we trick-or-treated Todd pulled Kellen in the wagon, which Kellen loved! He did run up to a couple of houses, but only because he was getting antsy. He was so happy to sit with a bunch of candy in his hands and show anyone his loot that was willing to see. He knows what candy is. He will hold it and stare at it and smack his lips. Tonight he threw a great tantrum because the candy was sitting in a bucket up on the counter and mommy wouldn't let him hold any. The boy knows what he wants...and he wants chocolate!
We really had a good time this year and it makes me so excited about the rest of the holidays to come this year.

Carving the pumpkin. Makenna picked out the pattern and helped trace it on. She helped with a tiny bit of the carving, but that was it! She didn't want to get her hands dirty :)
Tinker and Peter Pan! Such good buddies!
Mama and the cutest fairy ever!
Kellen, livin' the good life. No one offered to pull me around in a wagon all night...:(


Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie....but that was obvious, right? :)
Getting ready for the ward carnival
Kellen just wanted to make sure everyone knew that he tights were not his idea...he was just being cooperative and bribed with candy.
Grammy will probably hate me for this picture, but it was too funny to pass up!
Me with the kiddos and my pathetic attempt to be Wendy. Whatever...the kids had no idea how lame it was, so that's all that matters.
My boys!
Grammy and the pony and her Tinkerbell. Grammy rocks! Kenna kept saying that Grammy was going to be a pony (she came up with it all on her own), so my mom, not wanting to disappoint truly made herself a pony costume! Makenna was thrilled. Let's just wait and see what Makenna decides Grammy will be next year :) She also said that Pa was going to be a muddy pig...HA! Sadly that costume never came to fruition.
And yes, her finger is in her nose.

4 comments:

Dacia said...

Those are some cute costumes! What darling kids you have! That's so cool that your mom made the costume. She's probably the coolest grama huh?!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of the pictures!!!! Especially the one of Grammy and Makenna lifting up the tail. hahahahah.... that is SO FUNNY!!!! Your kids looked AMAZING, Grammy is AMAZING, Your and Toddy's costumes were awesome! Looks like a wonderful Halloween time for your whole entire family!

The Perry family said...

I love all the costumes!! You and Todd totally rocked your costumes! The pony picture is awesome! Your Wendy costume wasn't pathetic. And your kids are so cute! I love when the costumes coordinate! HAppy Halloween!! i would've really liked to see the muddy pig! tell your dad he's such a party pooper!

The Perry family said...

I coming to your blog to respond to your comment on my blog. Girlfriend, it's no secret. I just do my projects whenever I get a chance. So, I am as pathetic as can be. My mind doesn't stop thinking about projects and I just keep going and going. I usually do projects during nap/quiet time. Then if I have a deadline, like a birthday/holiday/event or whatever then I do it way too much, at times when I shouldn't be. Matthew usually lets me work on things for a couple of hours on saturdays, hmmm, I work when the girls go to bed and sometimes they play together so well that I work on things either in the basement where they're playing or upstairs while they're in the basement. Sometimes the kids go and play at a friends house and sometimes friends come over to play with the girls, and in that case, they don't want my attnetion, so I work then too. Hmmm, what else. Keep in mind, my youngest is a little over 2 and very independent. When I don't have a baby, it frees up a lot of time. Oh, sometimes I work on things when Matthew is reading up on something, or if he has something to do at night, or sometimes while we watch a movie. So, that's that. Now you know all my secrets:)