Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Work It Girl!

The Del Mar Fair (now referred to as the San Diego County Fair) has always been one of my favorite things in the summer. Every year it is practically the same, and every year I can't wait to go! When my sister and I used to go together, one of our favorite things to do there would be to sit at one of the stages and watch the little kids doing their dancing and performing. It was always so cute to watch and would just make us laugh and smile!
When Makenna was 10 months old she made her debut on the Fairground stage by participating in a baby crawling derby. She was a crazy speedy crawler and, of course, during the race she decided the tape on the mat was more exciting than crawling. But still, how could a mother be disappointed seeing their baby on stage?

And now, all of the sudden, it is my little girl up on that stage doing the dancing! Makenna was dying to do a dance class, so we signed her up for one a few months ago. And the one we signed her up for was through a company that performs at the fair each year. Makenna loved her dance class and even more loved getting dressed and ready for dance class every week. I never really explained to her that she was going to be 'performing' at the fair. Instead I just told her she was going to have one last 'dance class' at the fair. Makenna, as Not Shy as she is, has the tendency to have her moments where she just freezes and become incredibly shy. I was so afraid this would be one of those moments. We had a lot of family and some friends come to watch her perform and I was so worried that they were going to be there for nothing...that she would walk out on stage, see the crowd and freeze!
To my utter shock, amazement and overwhelming happiness, she did just the opposite! (I think that Makenna just like to shock people and do the unexpected, which in this case worked out well!) She was so excited to get on stage. It was a bit of a chore keeping her excitement harnessed while she waited her turn to get out there and do her thing. But the whole time she was dancing she had a great smile on her face, never once got embarrassed or shy and, well, pretty much worked it! I was so proud of her. If it hadn't been so cute and so fun and exciting then I know I would have been in tears! Way to go Kenna! You did great! We love you!





2 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

She did SO GOOD!!! She was for sure one of the best in her class! I am so glad I got to be there for both of her "events" and I cant wait for the day that Brooke preforms at the fair for the first time. I should look up the crawling contest for this years? SO CUTE pictures!

Auntie Steph said...

Love it !
It is so Makenna !