Friday, March 27, 2009

"1, 2, 3!"

Today has just been one of those days. And it is only 2 o'clock!

Within 10 minutes of being up with Makenna she had been on time out twice. What is that all about? Isn't everyone supposed to be well rested and in a good mood in the morning?
I feel like the first half of my day has been spent counting to three, walking a little girl to the corner with a needy little boy in my arms (for some reason Kellen is anti-napping today) and breathing slowly so that I can try and maintain at least a little patience. Days like this make me wonder, "Is it my kids just being feisty and frustrating today, or am I just being snappy and impatient?"
The two things that I do not tolerate well, if at all, are screaming and hitting/kicking/pushing. And today has just been one of those days. Makenna NEVER used to hit or kick or anything of the sort. But I have seen her be on the recieving end of it a number of times at parks and playgrounds. And now all of the sudden she is trying it out. It is driving me nuts! She rarely does it very hard. Most of the time it is completely random and pretty mild, but still, it is unacceptable. Any advice from others that have gone through this?
Anyway, I am just trying to take a few minutes to vent and then remind myself how cute my kids can be and that I love and adore them more than anything in this world. I wouldn't have my life any other way. But wow, some days just get to you.

Kenna's juice mustache. She really like to talk about mustaches right now. Don't ask me why.
Kellen loks scared out of his mind here, but really he was just excited. He loves sitting up in his big boy seat now in the stroller.
Since Kellen has a binky, Kenna has decided she needs one too. So every once in awhile she will pretend like she is crying and want me to put her binky in for her. What a silly girl.
What a nude little stud.
Little water babies.

This was good for me. Whenever I look at pictures of my kids while they are sleeping I think to myself "How can I ever get frustrated with such cute, loving little kids? They mean the world to me!" I know I am only human and it happens to every parent. But it is good for me to take a "time out" myslef on days like this. Hopefully part two will go a bit smoother. :)

4 comments:

The Picketts said...

The whole hitting thing is REALLY hard! Gracie is going through the hitting phase and I HATE it! So far - the only thing that has worked for me is time outs. I feel like a bad mom - but when she hits I feel like hitting back! (I'VE NEVER hit back, just for the record - just FELT like it! ha ha ha) That would be horrible reinforcement, huh?!
She seems to hit more when she's tired or grouchy. One idea that just popped into my head is maybe giving her a stress ball? (Is she hitting when she's mad?) Maybe you could tell her that if she's mad, then she can SQUEEZE the ball as hard as she wants - but no hitting. I think I'm going to try my own advice! Let me know if you find anything else out that works!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I think I was talking to you on the phone that morning, girl I know I have SO MUCH to look forward to :) Your kids are so stinkin cute it totally KILLS ME and Kellen has I think the BEST SMILE IN THE WORLD!!! You can not avoid smiling when you see his stinkin cute little smiley face!!! I love your kids SO MUCH and can't wait to see them this weekend!!! YEAH!!! And hang in there with the time outs and hitting, soon this will pass and you will have a new battle!

The Perry family said...

Well, what can I say?! THe joys of motherhood. I don't really like giving advice on mothering, because frankly, I need the same advice. Anyway, hitting, as most things, I think is just a stage. As long as you are teaching her that it is not okay, she'll pass through the stage...only to be in another, all too much fun stage!
And you are not the only one who wonders, are my kids being crazy today, or am I just impatient? It happens to us all and it's nice to know, we're not the only ones.
Sometimes, it seems more appealing to be the dad.

Dacia said...

Motherhood is the HARDEST thing I have ever done and continue to do, so don't feel bad. All mothers have their days and wonders about their beautiful children. All of my kids have been through hitting stages, some more than once. Just be consistent with the "no tolerance" of hitting and it will pass. Some times it feels like it will never pass, but it will.

I too always love to look at my kids every night when they are sleeping because they are such peaceful little angels and it reminds me they come from Heaven! Good luck girl! :)