Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Most Special Day

I know I am still working on playing catch up (and I am going to get there....I promise!) But I had to take a moment to fast forward to the present so that I can capture a very special day while it is all still fresh in my mind. 
 8 Years Old and Absolutely Beautiful!
 When your baby is born there are certain days in their life that you imagine from the beginning. Their first tooth, their first step, their first day of school, the day they get baptized...
As each of these special days arrives, I find myself feeling like I am almost living a dream. Taking these moments you imagine and dream about for so long, and then watching them unfold right before your eyes, it almost feels surreal.
As Makenna and I talked about her baptism, her feelings about wanting to get baptized and how excited she was, I kept thinking that I wanted to tell her how proud I was of her. But saying it that way was not really what I was wanting to express. And on her baptism day it finally dawned on me...I wasn't as much proud of her as I am Happy for her. I am Happy beyond anything I can express. Happy to see how much she has grown and matured. Happy to see how much of an understanding she has gained of the gospel and the testimony she has of her savior Jesus Christ. Happy that she Wants to make this decision and take this step in her life that will lead her forward. Happy because I know just how Happy this choice will make her. The gospel brings a joy, a peace and a satisfaction in life that you cannot find elsewhere. And I Know without a doubt in my mind that if she stays on this path she is started on, that her life, though it will have challenges and trials, will be filled with more direction and more comfort and joy than she would be able to find anywhere else. I pray every day that she will know and remember this forever. 
 Makenna and her Daddy. I know Makenna loves to feel pretty around her Daddy. And Dad was soooo sweet and surprised Makenna with a dozen roses in her room, to show her how much he loves her and how happy he is for her and this special day she is celebrating. I have to say I feel beyond blessed to be married to such a wonderful man. And man that loves me and fill my life with happiness. And that loves our children so very much and does such a great job showing his affection for them and supporting them in the things they do.
 Me and my beautiful girls. Carys was Not going to be left out of the pictures. Gosh, I am lucky!
" We are a happy family!"
 Grammy and Pa with their first grandchild that is getting baptized! I love seeing my mom get all teary eyed over these moments too. Glad it is not just me. We all know where I get my sappy side from!
 Makenna and her sweet primary leader Sister Helena Woidka. Makenna never actually had Sister Woidka as a teacher, but these two have formed a very special relationship. Makenna just adores her and runs to give her a big hug any time she spots her in the halls at church. At Christmas time this past year she wanted to make a special gift for Sister Woidka so she made her a pair of earrings and a necklace out of some beads.....very thoughtful little girl! And Sister Woidka just adores Makenna right back. It just so happens that she is in the Primary Presidency right now, so she was able to give the short talk before Makenna was baptized. It was very sweet, very heartfelt talk and testimony. You could tell Makenna was paying attention to every word and I know it made an impression on her. I feel so blessed to not only have family and friends that love and adore and support our family and children, but also a ward family at church. So many amazing people surrounding them, showing them love and setting a wonderful example for them to follow.
Makenna had the very special opportunity to have her Uncle Ding baptize her. Makenna and David have always had a close, special relationship. She has always been very close to him and is always thrilled when he comes home and anxious to see him and be with him. And I know that David holds a special place in his heart for his nieces and nephews. None of us had ever had the chance to see David baptize anyone before. He baptized a number of people on his mission, but this was also a neat opportunity for us to see him baptize first hand. When I asked Makenna if she wanted Ding or Pa to baptize her, she answered and said "Ding!" right away, but then she paused and said, "Well, who has more experience?" I thought this was hilarious and also pretty smart of her to ask that question. Ultimately she decided she would trust Ding with the responsibility and then have Pa confirm her afterward. It was a very sweet moment....watching my baby girl walk into the baptismal font and taken in my brothers hands and baptized. I was a total emotional mama. I got teary eyed through the whole thing. When she came out in her white jumper. When she took pictures with David. During the opening song and the talk. And definitely during the baptism itself. I warned Makenna that I was going to cry, just so she wouldn't be embarrassed or surprised. She knows her mom is a crier and has called me out on it many times....ha ha! I remember thinking the same thing about my mom when I was a kid. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The sweet thing was, after the baptism was performed and she came back for me to help her get undressed and changed, she was all smiles and excited. She asked me if I had cried and I told her of course I had. I asked her if she had been nervous and she said she did get nervous once she walked into the water. And then she said "I actually felt like I wanted to cry to, but I didn't let myself because I didn't want to be embarrassed. It felt weird." I took the opportunity to explain to her that what she felt was the holy ghost. And that in those special, sacred moments, when the spirit is so close to us, it sometime makes us emotional because we are close to the Lord in those moments. I was proud of her for noticing her feelings, and I hope that it is a moment that she always remembers. A moment when the Lord witnessed to her the truth of the gospel and how pleased he is in her decision to be a member of his church and live the gospel. 

No comments: