Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Rite of Passage

I'm just finishing up giving Conner a bath. I hear Kellen crying outside and know Todd will intercept and figure out what is going on. 30 second later Todd calls for me and says "Kellen is bleeding, a lot!" Of course I am thinking "How much is a lot?" and "Where is he bleeding from?" I pull Conner out of the bath and rush into the living room to find Todd holding a blood soaked paper towel on the back of Kellen's head. One look at his head and it iss evident that we will be taking an ER trip that night.

Apparently Kellen and Makenna were outside in the backyard playing. It sounds like Kellen was trying to climb up the small hillside in our backyard and fell backwards, hit his head and sliced it open. It's a pretty good gash...probably a good inch long and relatively deep.

Once we get the bleeding slowed down I wrap his head up with some gauze on the wound. Grammy quickly comes over to stay with Kenna and Con (yet another moment where I find myself incredibly grateful to live only a block away from my mom). Poor Makenna is quite sad to see us go. It is hard to tell if she is sad because of Kellen being so hurt or seeing Mommy and Daddy have to take off on such short notice. I think a bit of both.

By now Kellen has relaxed and calmed down pretty well. He looks both hilarious and adorable with his head all wrapped up. A story or two on the drive over and we are at the hospital.
Luckily we don't have to wait more than about a half hour. The nurses and doctor are wonderful! They load him up with stickers and he is a happy camper. Apparently cuts on the head (in the hair line) are closed up with staples, not stitches. The nice part about this is that it is faster and there are no needles involved at all. A little gel to numb the area, a bear hug from mom and two staples in the back of the head later and he is good to go!

I'm still amazed at how tough he was. While they stapled him up there were some tears and an "Owe" here and there, but that was it. I was glad to be the one holding him because that seemed better to me than having to see his face and watch him cry.

I know a million parents experience similar ER trips all the time. I am certain this will not be our only one. But I have to say it was a bit emotional a couple of times. Just seeing my baby boy sad and hurting and scared. Thinking of how grateful I am to have strong, healthy, happy children. To think of how painful it is to watch your child hurting. It's always good to count your blessing and be reminded of the important things in life.

Kellen, you are a stud! So cooperative and brave and tough! You make me smile every day and brought some good smiles to the ER staff tonight. Love you boy!
Mama and Kellen reading books while waiting in the ER. Not a bad wrap job on his wounded head if you ask me! Score one point for the mama!
Lookin cute in the hospital bed, accompanied by his "b's" and "baby Toby"

Two staples, a little ointment and we are good to go!

2 comments:

Auntie Steph said...

Sorry he had to make his first trip to emergency so young, but glad it was not traumatic for him and glad it wasn't anything that a couple of staples could take care of.
Love you!

amber said...

the bad thing is i'm sure your right when you say it's probably not the only time you'll be in the e.r. and trust me it never gets easier on you mom, no matter how old they get. glad it was minor and he was so brave. love you!!