Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dear Makenna,


Today was a rough day. You know how to push my buttons and you surely pushed a lot of them today. Throwing fits in the morning. Fits that put your 2 year old brothers temper tantrums to shame. Teasing your brother. Teasing the dog. Not listening more than listening to what I asked of you. Coming out of bed 4 times tonight and not falling asleep until almost 10 o'clock.

It's funny because it is these days that I most often remember....

"KC, grab her!" "She's blue! She's blue!" "Call 911!"

Knee's hitting the floor- "Are you serious?!"

"Please! Come Quick! My Daughter is dying! She's dying!"

Watching mouth to mouth. No movement. Her lips not blue, but more a dark shade of purple. The whites of her eyes blue.
"Save her! Please, save her!"

Her hand twitching.

More movement.
A breath.

Her trembling body in my arms. Her arms flailing....eyes searching. Hearing "MAMA!" through her screaming! The most beautiful sound ever heard.
"She's okay. She's going to be okay."

I have never been more grateful to have my buttons pushed and be driven crazy.

With all my heart.

3 comments:

Auntie Steph said...

Every time I hear that story it takes me back to the moment when your Mom called me saying "Makenna drowned in my pool"....I immediately wanted to drive down there, Bill told me I should wait...it was incredibly tense here until we heard she was going to be fine. Love all of you and am so thankful that our Makenna is here to make you crazy.

Jessica said...

LOVE the picture of here at the top of your post. What a great story. It's nice to see someone grateful for what they have and not ALWAYS wanting and expecting more more more. p.sin the last post of conner there was one picture where he had identical lips to Makenna...i could definetly see the resemblence there :)

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Um, Im crying!!! Im so grateful she is pushing those buttons too!!!